How To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining Your Curls
Fortunately, there are a few very simple ways to sleep with your curly hair without disturbing them too much to cause frizz and damage.
In this post, I’ll share with you the easiest ways to sleep with curly hair so that you protect your curls.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
How To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining It?
You’ve taken your time and styled your curls to perfection. Styling curly hair doesn’t have to take very long but still, you don’t want to have to style every day, right?
So, when it’s bedtime, you may be wondering:
- Should I wrap my curly hair at night?
- How can I protect my short curly hair while sleeping?
- What is the best way to protect my long curly hair for bed?
For your curls to last beyond wash day, you need to protect your curly hair at night while you sleep.
If you don’t, you risk getting up to dry, knotted, messy curly hair that needs more than a quick refresh.
When you sleep with your hair unprotected, you’re likely going to wake up to more frizz, less defined curls and have more hair breakage from the friction cause by your hair rubbing against your cotton pillows and sheets.
Protecting your curly hair while you sleep helps to keep curls defined the next morning so that wash day results lasts longer and all you need to do a simple refresh in the morning.
How To Sleep With Curly Hair – Protective Styles
Follow one of these curly hair nighttime protective styles and wake up to less frizzy and more defined curls.
You may still need to refresh a little in the morning but quick refreshes are much easier to handle on a morning than a full curly hair routine.
4 Ways To Sleep With Curly Hair
To protect your curls while you sleep, try one of these easy ways to sleep with curly hair.
1. Secure your curly hair in a pineapple before you sleep
2. Sleep on silk or satin pillowcases
3. Put your curls in a silk or satin bonnet
4. Use a silk or satin scarf to protect your curly hair
Sleep with your naturally curly hair in a pineapple
So, what is the pineapple trick for curly hair? Essentially, you will be securing your curls very loosely at the very top of your head with a satin or silk scrunchy.
This is one of the best and easiest ways to sleep with curly hair as your curls will not really be disturbed as you sleep leading to less frizz and hair damage overnight.
There are a few ways to put your curls in a pineapple depending on your hair length.
How to sleep with short curly hair
Put up your short curly hair in a pineapple ponytail. To do this:
- Flip all your hair forward and place your hair tie or satin scrunchy once at the very top of your head and head to bed
- You can also pineapple only the top of your hair and leave the bottom out if your hair is too short
How to sleep with long curly hair
To sleep with long curly hair, learn how to pineapple your long curls. Simply:
- Similarly, start by flipping all your hair forward and placing it in a satin scrunchy at the very top of your head.
- You can pull the length almost all the way through but stopping just before you reach the ends of your hair. This is how you do a loose pineapple bun for your natural hair.
- If your scrunchie is too big, pull all your hair through the scrunchie once and then again almost all the way through. Twist and secure your hair in a pineapple bun
- If you have curly bangs or shorter front pieces, then leave those out of your pony or bun and use a tiny clamp to clip it back
Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase
Sleeping on a satin or silk pilowcase helps to reduce friction while you sleep.
Cotton pillow cases tend to create dry, frizzy tangled hair which of course, leads to breakage.
Silk or satin pillowcases on the other hand, allow your hair to glide over the material creating fewer opportunities for frizz and hair damage.
You can sleep with your curls loose or you can secure them in a loose pineapple bun before you go to bed. It’s a perfect solution for long curly hair or short curly hair.
This is my favorite way to protect my curly hair overnight – it’s just so easy!
Put your curls in a satin or silk hair bonnet while you sleep
Sleeping with your curly hair in a satin or silk bonnet restricts your curls from moving too much while you sleep. That is, if you can keep it on.
I’ve tried to keep a bonnet on a few times and it always comes off. If I choose to sleep with a bonnet, I always sleep on silk or satin pillowcases for added security for my curls.
There are a few ways to sleep with your curly hair in a bonnet. Any of these would be great to protect your curls.
- Flip your hair over and put on the bonnet
- Place your curls in the bonnet with your head upright – perfect for short curly hair
- Secure your hair in a pineapple, then put your bonnet on
Sleep with your curls in a satin or silk scarf
Sleeping with your curly hair in a satin or silk scarf is very similar to the bonnet. The main difference is that it can be more secure because you’re tying the scarf. You can also secure the scarf with bobby pins so that it stays in place all night.
There are a few ways to secure your hair in a scarf:
- Flip your hair over, place and tie the scarf.
- You can also place your curls in the scarf with your head upright – works well for short curly hair
- Secure your hair in a pineapple, then put your scarf on
How To Sleep With Curly Hair – Do’s & Don’ts
To wrap up, let’s recap what you want to do and what you definitely want to avoid when you sleep with curly hair.
- Ensure that you have a great curly hair routine for your curly hair type
- Style with curly products that provide hold
- Before bed, use protective methods to refrain from disturbing your curls while you sleep
- Sleep without hair protection
- Use cotton bedsheets
- Secure your hair using hair ties that will damage your hair
HOW TO SLEEP WITH CURLY HAIR PRO TIP: When you get up the next morning, give your hair a shake and refresh using your favorite curly products
I hope these tips and tricks make it easier for you to learn how to sleep with curly hair without ruining your defined curls. These methods will help to protect your long curly hair and your short curly hair while sleeping.
Before you go, check out these other curly girl posts:
- How To Deep Condition Curly Hair
- Best Curly Girl Approved Deep Conditioners
- Curly Girl Accessories To Make Curly Hair Care Easier
- How To Scrunch Out The Crunch (SOTC) & Break The Gel Cast
- Signs of Moisture Overload & How To Fix It
- Protein Overload Signs & How To Fix It
- How To Fix Wet Frizz
- How To Refresh Curly & Wavy Hair
- How To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Curly Girl Product Review – Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- How To Grow Curly Hair Faster
- Curly Hair Styling Routine for 3A & 3B Curls
- 2a 2b 2c Wavy Hair Routine
- How To Do A Messy Curly Bun In No Time
- How To Make Your Hair Curlier
- How To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining Your Curls
- Best Drugstore Products 2021
- How To Tell If You Have Naturally Curly Hair – Take the free quiz
- Get Dyed Curly Hair At Home – No Damage
- Best Curly Hair Products for Kids
- Fun Curly Hair Quotes
Let me know your favorite way to sleep with your curly hair in the comments below.