Curly Hair Bun – How To Do Curly Messy Buns
A curly hair bun or a curly messy bun is the number one go to curly updo hairstyle for many curly girls.
As the name of my website, Curly Bun Mom, suggests, I love to style my hair in a curly bun almost all the time. I’ve been rocking the cute messy curly hair bun for as long as I can remember.
A messy bun is just so fun, versatile and cute style for curly and way hair! So, allow me to break it down for you.
Instead of reinventing the wheel, I’ll leave links to the easiest and best bun tutorials so that you can easily style create your own curly messy bun.
Affiliate Disclosure: “This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
Cute Buns For Curly Hair
Before we get into how to make cute buns for curly hair or wavy hair. Let’s take a look at the various curly bun hairstyles:
- Messy curly bun
- Top knot curly bun
- Low curly Bun
- Half up half down curly bun
- Long curly bun hairstyles
- Short Curly Bun Hairstyles
Easy messy bun for curly hair
My absolute favorite hairstyle is the messy bun. It’s so quick and easy!
I think you will agree that curly hair routines and even sometimes refreshes can sometimes be long. This makes the curly messy bun a great updo hairstyle for third or fourth day curls.
So, whether you have unruly curly strands or if you’re super busy and crunched for time, in a hurry, or late, then this is your best bet.
The messy bun is pretty foundational for all of the curly messy hairstyles. To style, simply follow these steps to get the cutest bun for your ringlets or waves.
- Flip your hair over
- Gently pull your defined curls to the crown of your head or any position that you’d like to have your messy bun
- Loosely wrap your curls once in a satin scrunchy
- Wrap your curls once again but this time don’t pull through the length of your hair. You’re basically creating a loop like when you pineapple long hair to sleep.
And that’s it…seriously. That’s how I style my natural curls in a messy curly bun every single time and the result is always a natural-looking, gorgeous, soft, tousled messy bun.
Some things to note when styling your curls hair in a bun:
- refresh your curls if necessary
- always be gentle when styling your curls
- loosely wrap your curls to secure your strands. Do not pull your hair tightly as you will experience breakage and damage your natural curls.
- leave out some curls to soften the look and get a more elegant look.
Easy Top Knot Bun
Another way to do a very easy messy curly bun is the top knot, especially for long curly hair:
- Pull your long curls to the top of your head
- Secure your curls in a satin scrunchy
- Gently gather your curls and put your long curly hair into a ponytail
- Then, loosely secure your ringlets with another scrunchy
- Optional lay your edges
The top knot is another super easy hairstyle for curly girls and wavy hair. Check out this tutorial.
Low curly bun
Instead of flipping your hair over, for the low curly bun, simply:
- Gently gather your curls at the nape of your neck
- Loosely wrap a satin scrunchy to secure your curls
- Optional – gently pull out loose curls, ringlets or tendrils to frame your face
Half up half down curly bun
To get the cute messy half up half down bun for wavy or curly hair, follow these steps:
- Gently separate your curls in half, gathering half at the crown of your head
- Wrap your tendrils at the top and loosely secure with your satin scrunchy
- For short hair, you can use one scrunch to secure your bun by not pulling the length of your hair through
- For long hair, secure your hair in a ponytail first, then gently wrap the length of your curls around and secure with another scrunchy or hair pins.
Long curly bun styles
The messy, top knot or low bun are all perfect for long curly or wavy hair.
To put long curly hair in a messy bun may take an extra step or two to secure all the long curls. However, you’re still going to follow the basic steps above.
Check out this great tutorial for long hair messy buns.
Short Bun Hairstyles For Your Ringlets
Just as with long hair, the messy and low buns are perfect for short curly hair. Just follow the steps above and you’ll be looking gorgeous in no time. This short curly bun tutorial can help you create the perfect messy bun.
Is The Bun Good For Curly Hair?
Do buns ruin curly hair? Not if you style your bun the right way.
The key is not to pull your curls too tightly. If you pull your hair too tightly, you will run the risk. Also, use hair ties like a satin scrunchy so that you don’t damage your hair.
There you have it! Some fantastic, quick and easy updo hairstyles for curly or wavy hair. I hope you have fun trying and love all of these curly buns.
Before you go, check out these other curly girl posts:
- Drugstore Curly Girl Approved Prodcuts For Wavy & Curly Hair
- Best Drugstore Curly Hair Products 2021
- Affordable Curly Girl Products For 2a 2b 2c Wavy Hair
- Curly Girl Method Approved Sulfate Free Shampoos
- Best Curly Girl Deep Conditioners
- Best Curly Girl Approved Gels 2021
- Hairitage Curl Creme – Curly Girl Approved Curl Cream Review
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel – Curly Girl Approved Gel Review
- Eco Argan Oil Gel – Curly Girl Approved Protein Gel Review
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard Product Review
- Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Shampoo & Conditioner Review
- Curly Girl Product Review – Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- How To Deep Condition Curly Hair
- How To Squish To Condish Wavy & Curly Hair
- What Is A Gel Cast & How To Scrunch Out The Crunch
- Signs of Moisture Overload & How To Fix It
- Protein Overload Signs & How To Fix It
- How To Fix Wet Frizz
- Easy Way To Refresh Curly & Wavy Hair
- How To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Make Your Hair Curlier
- How To Grow Curly Hair Faster
- How To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining Your Curls
- How To Tell If You Have Naturally Curly Hair – Take the free quiz
- Get Dyed Curly Hair At Home – No Damage
- How To Style Low Density, Fine Curly Hair
- Curly Hair Styling Routine for 3A & 3B Curls
- Wavy Hair Styling Routine 2a 2b 2c curls
- Curly Hair Winter Routine
- Easy Bandana & Scarf Hairstyles For Curly & Wavy Hair