The Best Winter Curly Hair Routine
Try these great winter curly hair products & curly girl routine to keep curly hair moisturized and frizz-free in the winter. Do you lose your curls or does your curly hair go flat and straight in the winter? Try these winter curly hair tips to care for your hair in the winter and keep your curly hair hydrated in winter.
Affiliate Disclosure: “This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
What Happens To Curly Hair In The Winter?
In winter, when the temperature and dew points are low, the air is dryer and humidity is lower. The result is dryer than usual curls or waves. This also causes your hair to be frizzier and possibly even flatter (less volume).
As a curly or wavy girl, your main aim is to keep your hair well moisturized in these colder temps.
Winter Curly Hair Products
Before we take a look at a good winter curly hair routine, let’s check out some awesome winter curly hair products to help with caring for your curls on colder days.
Glycerin is a humectant that you want to avoid in extreme temperatures – either too hot or too cold. For this reason, when styling your winter curls and waves, it’s best to look for glycerin free or low glycerin products. Glycerin in your shampoos and conditioners are generally still good, as you’re washing your hair in a moisturizing environment.
If you closely follow the curly girl method, please check the product ingredients on a site like Is it CG, to ensure that it’s a curly girl method safe product.
Click on any product below to easily purchase on Amazon.
Curly Girl Sulfate Free Shampoos For Winter
Winter Curly Hair Scalp Exfoliating Cleansers
Eva NYC Deeptox Exfoliating Salt Shampoo
Winter Curly Girl Co Wash
Curly Girl Silicone Free Conditioner For Winter
Winter Curly Hair Deep Conditioners
Check this post for more curly girl method deep conditioners.
Leave In Conditioners For Winter Curly Girl Routine
Winter Curly Hair Curl Creams
Curly Girl Approved Glycerin Free Gels For Winter
Winter Curly hair Sealing Oils
Best Winter Curly Hair Routine
Your winter curly routine steps will look similar to your regular routine. The main differences will be:
- Frequency of your wash days
- fewer wash days mean less chance of drying out your curls
- The styling products you use (more moisture, with little to no glycerin)
- Hair Drying method (if you don’t normally diffuse).
- During the winter, diffusing is best because the temperature is so low you run the risk of your hair freezing and then frizzing.
Your winter curly hair routine should start with a fantastic, long hold winter wash day routine. The more hold you have on wash day, the less often you would need to wash your hair.
A good winter curly hair routine continues throughout the week with your curly hair sleep habits and winter refresh day routines.
- Pre Poo treatment
- Wash your hair with sulfate free shampoo
- Condition, detangle and rinse
- Deep condition to nourish dry and frizzy curls
- To fight frizz, style with winter curly hair products
- Dry your curls with a diffuser on low or no heat after the gel cast forms
- Srunch out the crunch (SOTC) with a sealing oil
- Protect your curls while you sleep
- Refresh curls in the morning
Pre Poo Curly hair Treatment
Start off your winter curly hair wash day with a pre poo treatment. A hot oil treatment or pre poo treatment, like coconut oil is fantastic for your curly hair in the winter months. It helps with hydrating your curls before clarifying.
Winter Curly Hair Wash Day
Then, wash your hair with a hydrating, sulfate free shampoo.
A good curly girl tip when clarifying hair is to apply the sulfate free shampoo to your scalp, then use a scalp massager or brush to exfoliate.
When rinsing, the shampoo will move down the length of your hair and that’s usually enough to cleanse the length of your curls.
If you’re experiencing a flaky, dry scalp, try an exfoliating cleanser to help with clarifying your scalp.
If your scalp and hair are extremely dry and doesn’t need much cleansing then a co wash may be your best option.
Condition, detangle and rinse
Apply your conditioner from bottom to top and detangle with your fingers or a detangling brush like a tangle teezer.
Deep condition to nourish dry and frizzy curls
Deep conditioning is important for every curly girl but more so during winter.
A great way to hydrate your curls more is to add heat with a steam cap. This allows for deeper penetration of the deep condition, enabling your curls to get maximum benefits and moisture.
Remember to only leave in your deep conditioner for the recommended length of time as per the product directions.
Style With Winter Curly Girl Products
To fight frizz and get moisturized, defined curly hair, style with:
- Leave in conditioner
- Curl cream
- Glycerin free curly girl gel
Dry your curls with a diffuser on low or no heat after the gel cast forms.
During winter days, air drying and going out with wet hair is a terrible idea for your curls as your hair can freeze! This, of course, if damaging to your hair and will result in dry, frizzy hair.
To prevent that, diffusing is the best way to dry your curls in the winter months.
Some curly girls prefer high heat and high speed – this way they get the job done faster and they don’t experience any heat damage.
Other curly girls recommend going in with low heat and low speed to reduce the amount of heat used while drying their defined curly hair. This method takes a little longer but the results are similar.
If you’re unsure, try out both ways to see which one works best for you.
Srunch out the crunch (SOTC) with a sealing oil
SOTC and seal your winter curly hair wash day results with an oil will lock in the moisture from all the products you styled with. Using a sealing oil also reduces damage from the harsh winter temperature and environment (including heating in your home).
Protect your curls while you sleep
Remember to protect your curls while you sleep to preserve your curly hair wash day results. Check out these tips to add to your night time curly hair routine.
Refresh curls in the morning
Also, refresh your curls during the week to reduce the number of wash days during the week.
Check out these other curly hair routines:
How To Keep You Hair Moisturized In Winter
To recap, keep in mind these 7 tips for your winter curly hair routine and products:
- Use sulfate free shampoo and wash less often – once a week is great!
- Deep condition every week
- Choose glycerin free or low glycerin, moisturizing styling products
- Diffuse using low or no heat – Don’t go out with wet curly or wavy hair
- Use sealing oil to scrunch out the crunch
- Maintain a good night time routine to protect your curls
- Use protective styles like braids or curly buns to reduce friction and frizz
Before You Go, You Will Love These Other Posts For Curly Hair:
Wavy & Curly Hair Routines & hairstyles
- Curly Hair Styling Routine for 3A & 3B Curls
- Wavy Hair Styling Routine 2a 2b 2c Curls
- Easy Way To Refresh Curly & Wavy Hair
- How To Style Low Density, Fine Cury Hair
- The Best Way To Define Curls, Make Hair Curlier & Curls Tighter
- How To Grow Curly Hair Faster
- 3 Easy Ways To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining Your Curls
- 3a 3b Curly Curly Girl Method Approved Products
- Drugstore Curly Girl Method Approved Products For Wavy & Curly Hair
- Best Drugstore Curly Hair Products
- Affordable Curly Girl Products For 2a 2b 2c Wavy Hair
- Sulfate Free (Low Poo) Shampoos – Curl Girl Method Approved
- Curly Girl Method Approved Conditioners For Hydration & Easy Detangling
- Curly Girl Method Deep Conditioners You Need To Try
- Best Leave In Conditioners For Curly Hair & Wavy Hair
- Best Curly Girl Approved Gels
- Safe Curly Hair Products for Kids
- Ingredients To Avoid For Curly Hair
- Best Curly Girl Accessories You Must Try
- Curly Girl Gift Guide – Get Something On This List For The Curly Girl In Your Life
- 5 Ways To Use Coconut Oil To Transform Curls
- Hairitage Curl Creme – Curly Girl Approved Curl Cream Review
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel – Curly Girl Approved Gel Review
- Eco Argan Oil Gel – Curly Girl Approved Protein Gel Review
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard Product Review
- Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Shampoo & Conditioner Review
- Curly Girl Product Review – Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- Dippity Do Girls With Curls Gelee Review
Important Information To Care For Curls & Waves
- How To Take Care Of Curly & Wavy Hair
- Learn How To Deep Condition Curly Hair
- How To Squish To Condish Wavy & Curly Hair
- Find Out How Often Should You Use Leave In Conditioner
- Can You Put Leave In Conditioner On Dry Hair?
- Can You Leave Conditioner In Your Hair?
- Find Out What Happens If You Leave Conditioner In Your Hair
- What Is A Gel Cast & How To Scrunch Out The Crunch
- Signs of Moisture Overload & How To Fix It
- Protein Overload Signs & How To Fix It
- How To Fix Wet Frizz
- How To Start The Curly Girl Method
- This Is How To Tell If You Have Naturally Curly Hair – Take the free quiz
- Curly Hair Care Tips & Super Quick Wash Day, Refresh Day Routines For Moms