Curly Girl Tips & Easy Routine For Moms
If you’re like most moms, you’re always on the go. You don’t have time to spend hours on your hair every day. That’s why we’ve put together this easy curly hair care routine for busy moms! We’ll give you tips on how to take care of your curls and keep them looking their best, even when you’re short on time. Plus, we’ll show you how to create a simple routine that will fit into your busy schedule. So read on and learn how to take care of your curly hair!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
My 3a 3b Curly Hair Care Journey
In my younger days, I hated my curly hair and I longed for the day I could relax it. When I eventually relaxed it, I hated it so I cut it off and grew it back. At that point, I searched for a product to tame my frizz and I found gel. Gel was my best friend. I figured out on my own, without the internet (yes, I’m that old! Lol) how to style my hair with gel. My hair looked awesome once styled and I was absolutely in love with my curls.
My gel routine was my go-to for many years but the flaking drove me insane! Surely there was a better product that I could afford. Eventually, I found mousse.
I became OBSESSED! It had the hold I loved without the flakes and crunch.
But still, it was a lot to have to wash out quite often and my hair was pretty damaged and dry. This wasn’t much of an issue but when I became a mom, I really didn’t have the time to prioritize washing my hair often.
Since becoming a mom, my hair has been in a bun more than ever and I wanted a way to effortlessly and safely rock my curly bun all week if I needed to (ok not if, but when).
Curly Hair Care Tips For Busy Moms
If you have curly hair, then you know that it can be both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, you have gorgeous, natural curls that are the envy of many women.
On the other hand, your hair can be difficult to manage and style, especially if you’re short on time.
Fortunately, there are some easy tips and a routine that you can follow to help take care of your curly hair. For a more indepth look at curly hair care for beginners, please take some time to read this informative article.
Curly hair tends to be on the drier side, so hydration is key for healthy curls and an easy routine.
However, the main thing to keep in mind about curly hair care is that you need to balance protein and moisture in your curls. Basically, if your hair is dyed, use products with some protein. If your hair is natural, then just stick to a mix of protein and moisture rich products.
Easy Curly Hair Routine for Moms
- Wash with sulfate free shampoo
- Condition & detanlge
- Deep condition
- Style with one product
- Refresh as necessary
wash With Sulfate Free Shampoo
Sulfate free shampoos will cleanse your hair without stripping or damaging your strands.
When washing your hair, only apply shampoo to your scalp and use your fingertips or a shampoo brush to gently scrub.
As you rinse, the shampoo that runs down the length of your hair is sufficient to cleanse your ends.
Condition & Detangle
Apply enough conditioner to your curls to easily detangle. After applying, use a detangling brush like this Tangle Teezer to gently detangle from ends to root. Rinse thoroughly and move on to deep conditioning.
One of the most important steps in your curly hair routine is deep conditioning. Commit to deep conditioning your curls every week and you will find that styling your hair becomes even easier!
Follow the product’s instructions regarding how to apply and the length of time to leave the deep conditioner in and then rinse thoroughly.
Style Your Curls
Now for the fun part – styling your curls.
If you’re short on time, one styling product would be best for you to use. However, depending on your hair and on the environment, you may need to add in a product with strong hold for your wash day results to last.
Some great products to try for maximum curl definition:
- Mixed Chick Leave In Conditioner – Buy on Amazon | Walmart | Ulta
- Cantu Moisturizer Curl Activtor Cream (read review) – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard (read review) – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel (read review) – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
- Eco Styler Gel (read review) – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
- Dippity Do Girls With Curls Gelee (read review) – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
- Dippty Do Sports Gel – Buy on Amazon | Walmart
Diffuse Your Curls
Diffusing your curls is best when you’re short on time. It may take some time to diffuse, but the results will last longer.
Almost any diffuser would work but if you want to splurge on yourself and save yourself some drying time, check out the dyson diffuser. It’s pricey but curly girls swear by the results and the length of time taken to dry your curls will be significantly reduced.
On refresh days, all you need to do is spritz some water and a little extra product (if needed) on the parts of your curls that need a little extra love, finger coil, or scrunch and you’re done!
Check out this easy refresh day routine.
Know Safe Curly Hair Products
As a busy curly mom of three, I ensure that I use good curly hair care products for my hair by keeping an updated list of safe brands and products that I’d like to test.
For the most part, I can use the same products for a considerable period. However, depending on the weather and the condition of my hair, I have to switch products and brands from time to time.
Experimenting is the best thing you can do.
To quickly and easily check if a product is curly hair safe, just put the product into a website like, Curlscan.
I hope these curly hair care tips for beginners make you fall in love with your curly hair again. If you’re now starting your curly hair journey and would like to follow the curly girl method, check out this easy guide to get you started with the CG method.
Leave me a comment below to let me know what are some of your curly hair tips and fave hair products.
Before You Go, You Will Love These Other Posts For Curly Hair:
- Drugstore Curly Girl Approved Prodcuts For Wavy & Curly Hair
- Best Drugstore Products 2021
- Affordable Curly Girl Products For 2a 2b 2c Wavy Hair
- Curly Girl Method Approved Sulfate Free Shampoos
- Best Curly Girl Deep Conditioners
- Best Curly Girl Approved Gels 2021
- Hairitage Curl Creme – Curly Girl Approved Curl Cream Review
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel – Curly Girl Approved Gel Review
- Eco Argan Oil Gel – Curly Girl Approved Protein Gel Review
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard Product Review
- Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Shampoo & Conditioner Review
- Curly Girl Product Review – Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- How To Deep Condition Curly Hair
- How To Squish To Condish Wavy & Curly Hair
- What Is A Gel Cast & How To Scrunch Out The Crunch
- Signs of Moisture Overload & How To Fix It
- Protein Overload Signs & How To Fix It
- How To Fix Wet Frizz
- Easy Way To Refresh Curly & Wavy Hair
- How To Start The Curly Girl Method
- Make Your Hair Curlier
- How To Grow Curly Hair Faster
- How To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining Your Curls
- How To Tell If You Have Naturally Curly Hair – Take the free quiz
- Get Dyed Curly Hair At Home – No Damage
- How To Style Low Density, Fine Curly Hair
- Curly Hair Styling Routine for 3A & 3B Curls
- Wavy Hair Styling Routine 2a 2b 2c curls
- Curly Hair Winter Routine