17 Best Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair In 2023
Looking for the best clarifying shampoo for curly hair to reset your curls?
Clarifying shampoos can solve some of your curly hair problems, like dull lymph curls or itchy scalp.
I’ve tried quite a few over the years and have found my favorites. In this blog post, I’ll be sharing my top 19 picks for clarifying shampoos for curly hair.
I’ve included a few of my favorite sulfate free clarifying shampoos for curly hair, that will gently cleanse your scalp and hair without stripping away its natural oils.
I’ve also included some clarifying shampoos that contain sulfates for curly girls that prefer a clarifying shampoo with sulfates.
Whether you’re following the curly girl method and need a sulfate free clarifying shampoo, or you’re looking for one that has sulfates, I’m sure you’ll be able to select the best clarifying shampoo for curly hair.
Affiliate Disclosure: “This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
- Curly Girl Method Approved Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair
- 1. Bounce Curl Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
- 2. Curl Smith wash & Scrub Detox Pro Biotic
- 3. Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Claifying Shampoo
- 4. Malibu C Un-Do-Goo Shampoo
- 5. Malibu C Hard Water Wellness
- 6. Mixed chicks gentle Clarifying Shampoo
- 7. MopTop Detox Shampoo
- 8. Moroccan Oil Clarifying Shampoo
- 9. Noughty Wave Hello Curl Defining Shampoo
- 10. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
- 11. Verb clarifying shampoo
- Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair With Sulfates
- 12. AG Renew Shampoo
- 13. Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
- 14. Ouidad Water works Clarifying Shampoo
- 15. Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo
- 16. Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
- 17. Twist Hit Reset Light Clarifying Shampoo
- What is Clarifying Curly Hair?
- Benefits of Using Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair
- Gentle clarifying ingredients In Shampoos
- When To Clarify Your Natural Hair
- How Often Should You Clarify Your Curly Hair?
- How To Clarify Your Curly Hair
- Take Away
Curly Girl Method Approved Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair
1. Bounce Curl Gentle Clarifying Shampoo
I recently tried out the Bounce Curl Gentle Clarifying Shampoo to cleanse my curls and I am delighted with the results.
This clarifying shampoo for curly hair uses sodium lauroyl methyl isethionate as a surfactant, which effectively clarifies my hair, ridding it of any product build-up.
What I love about this shampoo is how it gently exfoliates my scalp, leaving it feeling refreshed and healthy.
Even more impressive is that it manages to do all of this without stripping my hair of its natural, essential oils.
2. Curl Smith wash & Scrub Detox Pro Biotic
I love Curl Smith products and I am thoroughly impressed with this clarifying shampoo for my curls.
This clarifying shampoo for curly hair contains plant-derived sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, which effectively clarifies both my hair and scalp.
The lather it produces feels luxurious and really helps to break down and remove any product build-up, such as silicones, from my hair and scalp.
One of the things I love about this detox cleanser is its flexibility.
Depending on the heaviness of the styling products I use, I can adjust how often I use the shampoo.
For me, using it twice a month has yielded the best results, leaving my curls feeling refreshed and looking vibrant.
3. Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Claifying Shampoo
I recently picked up the Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo for my curly hair, and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by its performance!
As an affordable drugstore option that is curly girl method-approved, this clarifying shampoo has quickly become a staple in my hair care routine.
One of the things I appreciate most about this shampoo is that it is pH balanced and contains sodium cocoyl glutamate, without any harsh sulfates. This makes it an excellent choice for curly girls with overworked, processed, or dyed curly hair.
After using the Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo, I found that my hair felt thoroughly cleansed and reset, but not dry or stripped of its natural moisture.
This has been a game changer for me! So, f you’re looking for an effective and budget-friendly clarifying shampoo for curly hair, I highly recommend giving the Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo a try.
4. Malibu C Un-Do-Goo Shampoo
This clarifying shampoo for curly hair is a sulfate-free, vegan formula that is gentle on my curls and effectively removes product build-up, thanks to the surfactant sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate.
One of the best features of this clarifying shampoo is its ability to keep my curls feeling hydrated even after cleansing.
It can be tough to find a clarifying shampoo that doesn’t leave curly hair feeling dry or stripped, but the Malibu C Un-Do-Goo Shampoo has managed to strike the perfect balance. It leaves my curls feeling clean, refreshed, and most importantly, hydrated.
5. Malibu C Hard Water Wellness
Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Clarifying Shampoo has quickly become my go-to solution for combating the hard water buildup on my curly hair. As a curly girl method-approved clarifying shampoo, it has truly exceeded my expectations.
This shampoo is formulated with sodium lauryl sulfoacetate and sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, which work together to effectively cleanse my curls of minerals and other impurities caused by hard water.
Since I started using it, I have noticed a significant difference in the texture and appearance of my curls. My hair feels cleaner, softer, and more manageable, and I couldn’t be happier with the results!
I definitely recommend Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Clarifying Shampoo to anyone dealing with hard water issues and looking for a curly girl method-approved clarifying shampoo.
6. Mixed chicks gentle Clarifying Shampoo
The clarifying shampoo contains a non-sulfate surfactant, sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, which gently yet effectively removes product build-up, leaving my hair feeling clean, healthy, and revitalized.
Mixed Chicks Gentle Clarifying Shampoo resets and breathes new life into my curls, enhancing the bounce and definition of my curls.
I highly recommend Mixed Chicks Gentle Clarifying Shampoo to curly girls looking for a gentle, effective solution to cleanse their hair and restore the natural beauty of their waves and curls.
7. MopTop Detox Shampoo
This curly girl method-approved clarifying shampoo contains non-sulfate cleansers like sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, which work well in removing silicones, shea butter, and chlorine buildup from my hair.
Following the company’s recommendation, I used this shampoo every 4-6 weeks for a period of time and I noticed a significant improvement in the health and appearance of my curls.
My hair feels lighter, more manageable, and free from any lingering residue that weighed it down in the past.
By using this product as recommended, you can expect to see your curls bounce back to life with renewed vitality and shine!
8. Moroccan Oil Clarifying Shampoo
This curly girl method-approved shampoo contains sodium lauryl sulfoacetate and sodium lauroyl sarcosinate which work together to effectively remove buildup and bring curly hair back to life.
What truly sets this clarifying shampoo apart is its unique formula that not only cleanses but also hydrates curls.
When you use Moroccan Oil Clarifying Shampoo, you can expect your curls to look fantastic, with improved bounce and overall vitality.
9. Noughty Wave Hello Curl Defining Shampoo
This curl defining clarifying shampoo has been a game changer for my curly hair care routine.
I love the price point and the results I get from this clarifying shampoo.
As an affordable drugstore option, this gentle clarifying shampoo contains the surfactant sodium lauroyl methyl isethionate and creates a satisfying lather that effectively cleanses my curls.
What I love about this shampoo is that it’s vegan-friendly and free from silicones, parabens, and sulfates.
I’ve found that it effectively removes silicones and other product build-up without causing any damage to my curly hair.
If you’re a curly girl in search of an affordable, gentle, and effective clarifying shampoo, I highly recommend giving Noughty Wave Hello Curl Defining Shampoo a try. Your curls will thank you!
10. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
This popular curly girl approved clarifying shampoo will give you amazing results with just one use.
What sets this shampoo apart is its ability to remove product build-up while simultaneously hydrating and strengthening your curls.
After using it, curly girls say that their curls feel revitalized and much healthier.
11. Verb clarifying shampoo
As a curly girl-approved clarifying shampoo, it effectively and gently removes product build-up while clarifying my scalp.
One of the things that impressed me about this shampoo is its low-lathering formula.
Despite the minimal lather, it effectively cleanses my hair without leaving it feeling dry.
Instead, my hair feels clean, soft, and shiny, with my curls looking more defined and bouncy than ever.
If you’re in search of a gentle clarifying shampoo that maintains the natural moisture of your curls while providing a thorough cleanse, I highly recommend giving Verb Clarifying Shampoo a try. Your curls will be left feeling clean, soft, and full of life!
Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair With Sulfates
12. AG Renew Shampoo
This clairfying shampoo for curly hair contains ammonium laureth sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate and works best when used sparingly for specific situations.
If you’re a swimmer, this shampoo has been known to be a lifesaver when it comes to removing chlorine build-up from curly hair.
Additionally, it works wonders for hair with severe product build-up, making it an ideal choice for curly girls who are just starting their transition to healthier curls.
Though I would advise against using AG Renew Shampoo too frequently due to the harsh surfactants, it has been an invaluable addition for curly girls who need to give their curls a much-needed boost.
If you’re a swimmer or someone dealing with severe product build-up, I recommend giving AG Renew Shampoo a try, but remember to use it sparingly to maintain the overall health of your curls.
13. Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
This clarifier contains potentially damaging ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate but can be effective when used occasionally.
I’ve found that this clarifier is best suited for those moments when my hair feels heavy, looks dull, and appears lifeless.
By using this cleanser sparingly, I’ve managed to restore my natural curls and bring back their shine without causing significant damage.
Though I wouldn’t recommend Kenra Clarifying Shampoo for regular use due to the presence of harsh sulfates, it can be a helpful addition to your hair care arsenal for occasional use when your curls need a quick revival.
Just remember to use it with caution and pay close attention to how your hair responds to ensure you maintain your hair’s overall health.
14. Ouidad Water works Clarifying Shampoo
Many fellow curly girls have also raved about its effectiveness in removing product residue while leaving their hair feeling soft and looking shiny.
This clarifying shampoo contains ammonium laureth sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate but cleanses curlyhair without leaving it feeling overly stripped.
While I’d recommend caution when using Ouidad Water Works Clarifying Shampoo due to the presence of harsh sulfates, it’s worth giving a try if you’re looking for a product that effectively removes residue and revitalizes your curls.
Just be sure to monitor your hair’s response and adjust usage accordingly to maintain its overall health.
15. Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo
This clarifying shampoo contains sodium laureth sulfate and is not cg approved but curly girls love it and say that it removes residue left by products and leaves their curls looking and feeling healthy.
After using this shampoo, you may notice your curls feel lighter and are more defined.
While I’d advise caution when using Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo due to the sulfates, it might be worth trying if you’re struggling to find a clarifying shampoo that effectively removes product residue and leaves your curls looking and feeling healthy.
Just be sure to keep an eye on your hair’s response and adjust usage as needed to maintain its overall well-being.
16. Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
This is not a curly girl method approved clarifying shampoo but it’s a great, affordable drugstore option for curly girls.
Despite the name suggesting daily use, I wouldn’t recommend it for curly girls as part of an everyday routine.
However, when my curls need a thorough cleanse from product build-up, this shampoo comes to the rescue.
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo has proven to be an effective and budget-friendly choice for occasional use when my curls require a bit of a reset.
If you’re a curly girl looking for an affordable option to help cleanse your hair from product build-up, I recommend giving this shampoo a try – just remember to use it sparingly and not as part of your daily hair care routine.
17. Twist Hit Reset Light Clarifying Shampoo
As a fan of Twist by Ouidad products, I was excited to try their Hit Reset Light Clarifying Shampoo for curly hair, and I must say, it didn’t disappoint!
This clarifying shampoo genuinely provided the reset my curls needed after just one use.
The formula contains ammonium laureth sulfate, sodium coco sulfate, and humectants that deliver a balanced cleanse.
Although it doesn’t produce a lot of lather, it effectively removes build-up and cleans my hair thoroughly.
After using this clarifying shampoo, my curls felt clean but not stripped of its natural moisture, which is always a huge plus for me.
I’ve been extremely pleased with the results, and my curls have never looked better.
If you’re in search of a clarifying shampoo for curly hair that cleanses effectively without causing dryness, I highly recommend giving Twist Hit Reset Light Clarifying Shampoo a try. You won’t be disappointed!
What is Clarifying Curly Hair?
Clarifying curly hair is the process of removing build up from your scalp and hair.
This can be caused by a number of things, such as using products with silicones or sulfates, not clarifying your hair often enough, or living in an area with hard water.
Build up on your scalp and hair can cause a number of problems, such as an itchy scalp, weighed down hair, or frizzy curls.
When you clarify your hair, you’re essentially giving it a reset. This will help to solve any build-up issues you may be having and leave your scalp and hair feeling refreshed.
Benefits of Using Clarifying Shampoos For Curly Hair
Here are some reasons why You Might Need a Clarifying Shampoo:
- If you feel like your scalp is itchy or your curls are weighed down, it might be time for a clarifying shampoo.
- Another reason you might need to clarify is if you notice build up on your scalp or in your hair. This can happen if you use a lot of styling products, like gels or mousses.
- A good clarifying shampoo will gently remove the build up and give your scalp and hair a fresh start.
- Finally, if you have frizzy curls, clarifying can help with that too. If you feel like you’ve tried everything and nothing has worked, clarifying might be the answer.
Gentle clarifying ingredients In Shampoos
Sulfates in Shampoos
If you follow the curly girl method, then you know that sulfates are a big no-no. Sulfates are harsh cleansing agents that can strip your hair of its natural oils.
This can leave your hair feeling dry and brittle and can cause your scalp to become irritated.
The harshest sulfates in shampoos are sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) will remove all build up but can also strip your hair and damage your curls.
Clarifying ingredients in sulfate free shampoos
- Cocamidopropyl betaine
- olefin sulfonate
- sodium c14-16 olefin sulfonate
- sodium laurly sulfoacetate
- sodium lauroyl sarcosinate
- sodium cocoyl glutamate
When To Clarify Your Natural Hair
You should clarify your natural hair every four to six weeks. If you feel like you need to clarify more often, you can.
Just be sure to follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to restore moisture to your hair.
If you have color-treated hair, you’ll need to be careful not to clarify too often as this can strip away the color. Once a month should be sufficient.
Now that you know all about clarifying shampoos, let’s take a look at some of the best clarifying shampoos on the market today.
How Often Should You Clarify Your Curly Hair?
Most curly girls clarify their hair every month or two. If you feel like you need to clarify more often, you can certainly do that.
Just be sure not to over clarifying your hair, as that can strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it feeling dry and frizzy.
If you clarify your hair and find that it’s too drying, follow up with a deep conditioner or hair mask to help replenish your curls.
How To Clarify Your Curly Hair
To clarify your curly hair:
- pre poo ends first to protect from clarifier
- Cleanse clarifying shampoo
- deep condition
- style as usual
If you clarify your hair with a clarifying shampoo, be sure to follow the directions on the bottle.
Most clarifying shampoos should be left on your scalp and hair for three to five minutes before rinsing.
There are a lot of great clarifying shampoos on the market that can help improve the health and appearance of your curly hair.
Be sure to clarify your hair when necessary to remove build up and keep your scalp healthy.
This will help your curls to look curlier and voluminous.
Do you have a favorite clarifying shampoo? Let us know in the comments below!
Before You Go, You Will Love These Other Posts For Curly Hair:
- Affordable Curly Girl Products For 2a 2b 2c Wavy Hair
- Sulfate Free (Low Poo) Shampoos – Curl Girl Method Approved
- Curly Girl Method Approved Conditioners For Hydration & Easy Detangling
- Curly Girl Method Deep Conditioners You Need To Try
- Best Leave In Conditioners For Curly Hair & Wavy Hair
- Best Curly Girl Approved Gels
- Safe Curly Hair Products for Kids
- Ingredients To Avoid For Curly Hair
- Best Curly Girl Accessories You Must Try
- Curly Girl Gift Guide – Get Something On This List For The Curly Girl In Your Life
- Hairitage Curl Creme – Curly Girl Approved Curl Cream Review
- Aussie Instant Freeze Gel – Curly Girl Approved Gel Review
- Eco Argan Oil Gel – Curly Girl Approved Protein Gel Review
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard Product Review
- Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Shampoo & Conditioner Review
- Curly Girl Product Review – Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- Dippity Do Girls With Curls Gelee Review
Important Information To Care For Curls & Waves
- What Is Type 3 Hair & How To Care For It
- How To Take Care Of Curly & Wavy Hair
- Learn How To Deep Condition Curly Hair
- How To Squish To Condish Wavy & Curly Hair
- Find Out How Often Should You Use Leave In Conditioner
- Can You Put Leave In Conditioner On Dry Hair?
- Is Leave In Conditioner A Heat Protectant? Find Out What You Should Use
- Can You Leave Conditioner In Your Hair?
- Find Out What Happens If You Leave Conditioner In Your Hair
- What Is A Gel Cast & How To Scrunch Out The Crunch
- Signs of Moisture Overload & How To Fix It
- Protein Overload Signs & How To Fix It
- How To Fix Wet Frizz
- How To Start The Curly Girl Method
- This Is How To Tell If You Have Naturally Curly Hair – Take the free quiz
- Curly Hair Care Tips & Super Quick Wash Day, Refresh Day Routines For Moms
Dyeing Textured Hair At Home Without Damaging It
Wavy & Curly Hair Routines & hairstyles
- Curly Hair Styling Routine for 3A & 3B Curls
- Wavy Hair Styling Routine 2a 2b 2c Curls
- Curly Hair Winter Routine
- Easy Way To Refresh Curly & Wavy Hair
- How To Style Low Density, Fine Cury Hair
- The Best Way To Define Curls, Make Hair Curlier & Curls Tighter
- How To Grow Curly Hair Faster
- 3 Easy Ways To Sleep With Curly Hair Without Ruining Your Curls
- 5 Ways To Use Coconut Oil To Transform Curls