Family Christmas Traditions – Ideas To Make Christmas Magical In 2022
Start some of these Family Christmas Traditions in 2022 to have the happiest Christmas yet.
When I was a kid family Christmas traditions made Christmas magical! Now that I’m a mom, it feels even more magical. Now, I get to start my own family Christmas traditions and made it magical for my kids.
This winter is going to be our second winter Christmas – and it has already started as a cold and snowy one! Now that our family is complete, we’re going to be starting a few family Christmas Traditions and activities of our own.
Family traditions also seek to teach our kids what’s important in life! It can most certainly be argued that Christmas has become a commercial holiday. But, I believe that’s only true if we let it be true. There’s still so much magic.
Affiliate Disclosure: “This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
What Are good family Christmas traditions
Family traditions make us feel a sense of belonging. They made us feel secure and loved. They’re a beautiful way of bringing family together, no matter what, to celebrate a certain event or time.
Good family Christmas traditions seek to do the same things. They seek to bring us closer together, to feel loved, secured, and a sense of belonging.
There’s something about having special activities and traditions for one time of the year. Over the years, Christmas has become pretty commercial. So, to ensure that we remember and celebrate the true meaning of Christmas, these traditions are even more important to us.
how to Make Traditions Special For The Kids
Making family Christmas traditions special is easy because it’s so personal and unique to you and your family. From the Christmas activities to the meaning behind what your family does, it all works to make Christmas special and memorable.
You can use any idea you see in this post or any other Christmas traditions post as inspiration. Tailor to suit your personality and family and make it your own.
Family traditions should be meaningful and fun! They should bring us closer together, to enjoy one another and experience occasions and events together.
For our family, it’s about slowing down and enjoying the moments with our loved ones.
Whether it’s cooking, decorating, gift wrapping, family games, singing or giving. It’s about having fun with ever family activity and tradition. It’s about laughing so much that your tummy hurts.
Family Christmas Traditions To Start In 2022/>
Family Christmas Traditions can start long before Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This year, our family is going to try some of these ideas to have a very merry, memorable Christmas.
Family Christmas Traditions For the Christmas season or only for the 12 days of Christmas:
- Read a Christmas story every night
- Look at Family Christmas movies while sipping on homemade hot chocolate
- Make a few Christmas playlists
- Listen to Christmas music and spend some quality time together
- Participate in a toy drive
- Participate in a hamper drive
- Volunteer at your church or community center
- Family game nights
- Attend local Christmas Tree lighting event
- Attend local Christmas Fairs or Markets
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Pick & decorate a Christmas Tree
- Make Christmas crafts and decorate the house
- Have fun creating handmade gifts and cards for parents, grandparents, and cousins
- Make a countdown Advent Calender with the kids
- Write letters to Santa
- Visit Santa
- Write letters from Santa to each kid, highlighting that they’ve made it to the nice list and why
- Making and choosing gifts for one another and other family members
- Wrap gifts
- Hang Christmas stockings for Santa to fill up
- Learn a new carol
- Perform carols or the Christmas story
- Snow fun if there’s snow
- Attend or host a family Christmas Party
- Indulge in some much-needed self-care (get some ideas here)
- Make your favorite Christmas dishes together
- Attend Christmas Service
- Track Santa
- Have Santa calls
- Make a favorite or signature dish e.g. Bake Christmas Ham & Turkey
- Do a family Christmas Eve Box
- Open gifts from Santa and Christmas stockings in our PJs
- Keep some gifts to open during the 12 days of Christmas
- Have all Christmas meals together
- Family Video Chats
- Spend some time to highlight what we’re grateful for
- Spend time with extended family
- Taking down decorations and packing up
- Making New Years resolutions
Wrapping Up Family Christmas Traditions To Start In 2022
I hope these ideas provide some fantastic inspiration for starting your own family Christmas traditions and activities. Remember, it’s not about a to-do list or a bucket list, it’s about enjoying the moments this and every Christmas. There’s no right or wrong way to celebrate Christmas or to have family traditions. It’s all about you and your family totally loving the season.
Whether it’s attending mass and having spiritual traditions, volunteering, donating to others, cooking together, snuggling, and watching movies…whatever makes your family happy, that’s what you need to do!
Before you go, you will love these other Christmas posts:
- 4 Gift Christmas Rule
- Extra Special Family Christmas Activities For Kids
- How To Make Family Christmas Eve Box
- Christmas Stocking Stuffers For Kids Under $10
- Christmas Songs Lyrics & Free PDF Download
What family Christmas traditions do you currently enjoy and what new ones would you love to start up this year to make your Christmas magical, merry and bright?